Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Let's talk about pasta, pansit, rice noodles and so on...

I suddenly felt the urge to blog about different pastas upon receiving an email from gara detailing the process in making your own pesto sauce. I love pesto, actually, I think I love all the possible sauces that can be mix with pasta.

I can't remember when my love for pasta started. All I know is I can eat a pasta with a plain sauce, without its trimmings.

My favorites include:

1. Sbarro's spinach lasagna and Baked Ziti - Sbarro's signature tomato sauce is to die for, though their white sauce is also good but you can never go wrong with their plain tomato Sauce. You can actually savor the goodness of their secret herbs and spices topped with Romano cheese. Yummy!

2. C Italian's Fettucine with Alfredo Sauce- it was the best alfredo sauce I have tasted.

3. Pizza Hut's pasta- If you are looking for a cheap treat which won't sacrifice good taste, you can head to Pizza hut. They make good fettucine with alfredo sauce and spaghetti bolognese. You can actually order a big serving of Spaghetti Bolognese for just a hundred bucks.

4. Siam House's Pad Thai: I can rave about their Pad Thai all night long. Whenever I am sad and don't have the appetite to eat, hubby would suggest that we go to Siam House to get my fix of Pad Thai. And just like magic, everything turns out fine. Their pad thai is so rich and spicy. Maybe dry for others but just enough for me. I love it with lots of peanuts, shrimp plus extra spicy sauce.

5. Pasta Aligue of Northern Brew- loaded with cholesterol but guaranteed to be a good choice when dining.

Meatballs Spaghetti of Sbarro


Lets talk about different Pancit this time. Pancit or pansit (and my friends and I call it chinese, hehehe) is define in Wikipedia as a stir fried noodle dish common in the Philippines (I strongly agree!), though it has a chinese origin. The word pancit was derived from the Hokkien word pian i sit.

The most famous pancit would have to be the Pancit Guisado. This pansit is a staple meal in our dining table whenever there is a celebration. My mom cooks mean pansit. They would even hire her to cook pansit whenever there's a celebration within our clan (mostly every birthdays)

Other varities of pansit are:

1. Pancit Palabok/Luglog (in Pampanga) - I love Susie's palabok

2. Pancit Malabon- its the marinara version of pansit palabok hehehe

3. Pancit Habhab- from Lucban Quezon, this i want to try.

4. Pancit Molo- there's actually no pansit here. Just clear chicken broth with wontons. Hubby's aunt in Manila cooks the best Pancit Molo. This is a good substitute for chicken soup.

5. Batchoy- I don't like this. Innards doesn't appeal to me.

6. Pancit Canton-probably the most famous pansit which with its instant pancit canton counterpart.

7. Pancit Lomi- I dont have the guts to eat this particular pansit. I am just so scared. It looks like... nevermind. Create your own imagination.

8. Pancit Sotanghon-made of cellophane noodles.


Pancit Palabok


Other Varieties of Pancit


I have also included a recipe of the Pancit molo. This is courtesy of Puto Pinoy blog.

Ingredients:

2 pcs crushed garlic
1/4 kg ground pork
1 pc chicken breast
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 medium-sized onion, thinly sliced
1 garlic head, crushed and fried
1 tbsp ginger, cut into strips
spring onions, cut into rings
3 pcs chicken cubes
1 liter water
black pepper for seasoning
cooking oil
fish sauce to taste


Utensils:

cauldron
wooden spoon or ladle
aluminum bowl
stove


Procedure:

Put all the ingredients (ground pork, onions and 1 tbsp of fish sauce) together in an aluminum bowl.

Mix the ingredients thoroughly with the help of a wooden spoon. The mixed ingredients will serve as fillings of the molo wrapper.

Put a spoonful of the filling into each piece of molo wrapper. Make as many as 20 pieces of wrapped molo. Set them aside while you prepare the broth for the pansit molo.

Heat a little amount of cooking oil in a pan and saute garlic, ginger and onions. Stir the ingredients well.

Next, add the remaining filling. Stir ingredients again.

Pour one liter of water slowly into the sauteed ingredients. Stir ingredients well and then cover the pan. Let boil fpr 10 minutes.

After 10 minutes, put the wrapped molo one by one into the broth. Do this carefully so that the wrapped molo will not stick together. Season broth with black pepper.

Add spring onions and fried garlic to the broth. Stir lightly. Reduce heat once the pieces of wrapped molo are fully immersed into the broth.

Makes 8-10 servings.

Pancit Molo


Before closing my posting for tonight, I would like to add my don'ts when blogging. Dont/never blog about work, your leaders, or your colleagues, specially if your contacts are mostly from your company, that is if you dont want to get in trouble. Guys, get real. It is the age where everything is ruled by the Internet. Anyone can have access to your blog, so be safe than sorry.

xoxo

Ace

No comments: